Monday, March 22, 2010

They are all grown up

In the past few years my role as the youngest person in the room has reversed. In many of the circles that I frequent, I am now the oldest person. I have come to learn from experience that many things cannot be taught, and in turn now understand the wisdom of words from my elders. In the past three years I have associated with more people who are just graduated from school or were still in school than I have since actually being in college. I tried to share some of my wisdom with them, sometimes they listen sometimes they just politely nod. This year two of my younger friends recall different conversations I had with them when we first met and laugh at their earlier thought of “What’s wrong with him?” It is so rewarding when I finally see the light bulb go off and they get it; even when it takes years for that light bulb to go off. Today I saw a Facebook posting from another younger friend of mine that now understands some of the realities of the world. It is great to see that she finally gets it; I am seeing her grow up before my eyes. Unfortunately ignorance is often bliss, remove the ignorance and you remove the only shield protecting certain forms of joy.

No comments: